RHS Arrow

Gun violence comes too close to home for Renton High students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kierra Frazier, Staff Writer

Gun violence has become a huge problem in the world today. According to gun violence statistics from Bradycampaign.org, 47 young people die every day, ranging from the ages of 0-19; all from gun violence. According to the stats, 39 of those children and teens that are shot, survive. For all ages, there are 96 people that die every day from guns. Gun violence has become a huge problem in America today; people are losing their loved ones, and people do not feel safe to leave their houses or let their children go outside. It stems from the fear of not knowing if or when something is going to happen.

For the years 2017-19, guns were the biggest problem. The news was full of reports with people getting hurt or killed from gun violence.

For example, In 2017 there was the unforgettable Las Vegas shooting. The shooter was identified as 64-year-old Stephen Paddock. Paddock had brought many different weapons into his resort over a span of days, going unnoticed. He opened fire at 10 pm on October 1st, aiming in the direction of a country music festival. There was estimated to have been 22,000 people who attended the festival. The shooter left 600 people with injuries and 58 dead. Later that night, the shooter committed suicide in his hotel room.

Another example took place on July 28th, 2018. There was a nursing home shooting in South Texas, that left 5 people dead and one of those 5 was the killer. The gunman’s name was Richard Starry. The deaths occurred at a nursing home just down the street from the home where he shot and killed his father and step-mother afterward.

Sometimes its just too easy to mourn over these stories and lives, without having the ability to make a change. This next story took place “way too close to home” for the students of Renton High School, just down the street from RHS; so if not any other story, this one demands our attention and action.

On January 20th, 2019, a 16-year-old boy named Emarion Walker Black was shot and killed in his car at the downtown Renton Walmart. There seemed to be an altercation in the car that lead to Emarion being shot and later crashing his car into the side of Walmart. There were a total of 3 people in the car: Emarion, the shooter that has not been identified, and another who stayed at the scene to help with the investigation. Currently, the shooter is on the run.

Shootings have been happening frequently each year, and it is starting to become a significant problem for people all around the world. People are losing their lives, and families are losing the people they love; others don’t even feel safe enough to go outside.

The time to make a change is now.

Sources 

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-many-mass-shootings-in-america-this-year-2018-2

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/shooting-at-renton-walmart-leaves-victim-with-gunshot-wound-to-chest/907409666

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/13/us-gun-deaths-levels-cdc-2017

http://www.bradycampaign.org/key-gun-violence-statistics

About the Writer
Kierra Frazier, Staff Writer

My name is Kierra Frazier. I am a junior here at Renton High School. I play basketball and am also a member of Black Student Union. I enjoy dancing/stepping...

• App Home Page

New approach to the ASB Constitution

• Gun violence comes too close to home for Renton High students

App Home Page

The crash of Boeing’s 737 planes and possible impacts on Renton

App Home Page

Icy Crisis – another iceberg breaking off Antarctica

News

Thank You for Your Service

App Home Page

Scientists closer to finding cure for HIV

• News

VOLUNTEER: Tunnel to Viaduct 8K

• News

OCEAN CAREER DAY

App Home Page

Modifications being made in Renton airport

App Home Page

The Boring Company’s first prototype tunnel

App Home Page

Effects of government shutdown on the U.S.

The Student News Site of Renton High School