RHS Arrow

Litter : the unsuspected killer

Back to Article
Back to Article

Litter : the unsuspected killer

Jordan Torres-Camacho

“The World Health Organization estimates that 4.6 million people die each year from causes directly attributable to air pollution.” 

Although the United States of America has a law to not litter, nothing too much has happened trying to reduce waste many times.

We failed, and this failure is affecting the environment in a bad way. If we don’t do this together, many more people are going to be affected by air pollution. As the population grows, we are going to need more resources to support more people. 

“Americans has generated 30 billion foam cups, 220 million tires, and 1.8 billion disposable diapers every year, according to the Green Schools Alliance. According to the world health organization, ambient air pollution contributes to 6.7 percent of all deaths worldwide.”  

1.1 billion acres of forest were cleared in just thirty years, between 1960 and 1990. This concludes that the amount of polluting and cut trees is destroying a lot of land. Animals are losing their habitats because of us.  

In the next 30 years, as many as one-fifth of all species alive today will become extinct. 23% of all mammals and 12% of all birds species were considered threatened in 2003. A big amount of organisms are dying due to the chemicals in plastic, rubber, star foam, etc. 

Anyone that exports goods and services to different countries say that people need money to protect and care for their families. Yet if we don’t support our world, organisms are going to die from food reduction, breaking the ozone layer, not have access to clean water. Food reduction will cause people and their families to go unfed. A destroyed ozone layer is deadly because if you go outside without an ozone layer there are many different effects. It causes a severe sunburn – UV burns the skin. Radiation has a harmful suppressing effect on the immune system which can hurt people’s immune systems and get more diseases. Less clean water can cause people to go thirsty. 

Pollution is dangerous. It’s a real problem in our world right now. If we don’t fix it, there might be an apocalypse. And we, as humankind, don’t want an apocalypse. One of the ways to find the problem is an invention to reduce or get rid of plastic or /and reduce plastic and stop littering. 

It is time to fix our problems as humans and reduce plastic waste. 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/air_pollution.htm 

https://www.livescience.com/22728-pollution-facts.html 

http://www.worldcentric.org/conscious-living/environmental-destruction
https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/1304-positive-and-negative-effects-of-uv 

About the Photographer
Delaney Connell, Senior Copy Editor and Photojournalist

Hi! My name is Delaney Connell. I'm a freshman here at RHS, and I'm your senior copy editor and photojournalist. In my free time, I love to read and play...

• News

VOLUNTEER: Tunnel to Viaduct 8K

• Litter : the unsuspected killer

News

Gun violence comes too close to home for Renton High students

• News

OCEAN CAREER DAY

• Litter : the unsuspected killer

App Home Page

Modifications being made in Renton airport

• Litter : the unsuspected killer

App Home Page

The Boring Company’s first prototype tunnel

• Litter : the unsuspected killer

App Home Page

Effects of government shutdown on the U.S.

• Litter : the unsuspected killer

App Home Page

Seattle Homelessness has ranked 3rd in the nation after Los Angeles and New York City

• Litter : the unsuspected killer

App Home Page

Seattle’s Viaduct closure

• Litter : the unsuspected killer

News

Stress levels in students are skyrocketing

• Litter : the unsuspected killer

News

National debt crisis

The Student News Site of Renton High School
Litter : the unsuspected killer