RHS Arrow

Can medicine affect us?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Can medicine affect us?

Ileana Shannon, Staff Writer

Medicine is something that helps us to stay healthy and to prevent/cure diseases people may have, but it can negatively affect our health if not used right. 

There are some people in the world who clearly don’t understand how medicine works. Therefore, they get sick, even when taking some medicine. It can be a major hazard for users if they don’t understand the basics of medicine. 

One of the main reasons why medicine won’t work as effectively is where people store their medicine.

On the SA Health article, they suggest that the medicine should be stored in a “cool, dry place, out of direct sunlight, however, storage conditions vary, and some medicines need to be refrigerated.”

Some people don’t pay attention to the labels; which is why they won’t notice if the medicine expired or if it is not working as efficiently as it should be. 

Whenever you go to a pharmacy or doctor to be prescribed for medicine, people should discuss what the ingredients are in the medicine. You never know if an ingredient you are allergic to can be in the medicine you are prescribed with. People can get even more sick since some people don’t even know or remember what they are allergic to. 

No one really notices once they first start taking medicine, but most of the times there can be side-effects. Those side-effects are barely noticeable but can have serious consequences for certain people. It is best to talk about those concerns with a pharmacist or a doctor to either change what medicine to take or find a different solution to your health needs. 

Not everyone would agree that medicine can be an issue since it is not a very common one. Everyone assumes that they read the label clearly; as well as know what and what not to do. Even if it isn’t a common or drastic issue, it is still good to keep a note of this issue. Not everyone has access to a pharmacy or doctor, so they can’t ask any questions about what is okay and what isn’t okay when taking medicine. For example, giving medicine to children is different to giving medicine to an adult. Children can’t take certain kind of medicines, nor have the same dosage of medicine. If their parents don’t have access to a pharmacy or doctor, how are they supposed to know what kind of medicine they need and how much of it? Parents don’t know everything regarding medicine, so they could accidentally affect their children’s health with something that is meant to help them. 

There is no clear solution for an issue like this since no one really considers this a big issue unless you really think about it, but the first step we should take involves us speaking up to the pharmacies and doctors about our concerns and questions to provide medicine to those in need safely. If not, then we need to provide the basics about medicine to everyone who needs them: as well as have no access to seek help from professionals. 

People should keep this information as a note to themselves to understand that without the right mindset, a tool that is meant to help us can harm us. They just need to follow directions, and it won’t be too much of a worry. 

About the Contributors
Ileana Shannon, Staff Writer

Hello. My name is Ileana Shannon. I am currently a Junior at RHS. I am originally from Texas, but my family decided to move to Renton, Washington during...

Delaney Connell, Senior Copy Editor and Photojournalist

Hi! My name is Delaney Connell. I'm a freshman here at RHS, and I'm your senior copy editor and photojournalist. In my free time, I love to read and play...

• Can medicine affect us?

App Home Page

Why we should protect India’s Sentinelese Tribe

• Can medicine affect us?

App Home Page

This is torture! Cloning must be stopped

• Can medicine affect us?

App Home Page

Ambassadors Club hosts annual blood drive

• Can medicine affect us?

App Home Page

The dark web

• Can medicine affect us?

App Home Page

Santa Fe High School shooting

• Can medicine affect us?

App Home Page

Pollution in the world

• Can medicine affect us?

App Home Page

The battle against liberty and humanity: serving those who want to cease and killing those who want to live

• Can medicine affect us?

App Home Page

Juvenile delinquents

• Can medicine affect us?

App Home Page

China’s new concentration camps

• Can medicine affect us?

App Home Page

The EU : taking your digital freedom

The Student News Site of Renton High School
Can medicine affect us?