RHS Arrow

Season-ending leg injury brings Earl Thomas to flash out on the Seahawks amid contract dispute

Back to Article
Back to Article

Analisa Ruiz, Staff Writer

Earl Thomas, a defensive back for the Seattle Seahawks and a member of the legion of boom, suffered a leg injury during Sunday’s game against the Cardinals on September 30, 2018. It was said that Thomas had fractured his leg while defending the Cardinal’s wide receiver, Chad Williams, during a touchdown pass as he grazed his leg, riding off the field as he flicked out a middle finger towards the Hawks. But, the extent over his gesture might have been because of a contract extension that Thomas had been negotiating over for a while and never got.

He has been in the Seahawks for 9 seasons, starting July 31 of 2010. For the years Thomas has played, his salary has averaged onto a recent $40 million contract that he signed in the final season of a four-year extension. Thomas has refused to play during the 2018 preseason for his dissatisfaction with the terms of his contract with the Seahawks, since he faces the loss of about $500,000 per week in checks. He returned for the regular season not paying any mind to injuries that would possibly collapse his potential earnings. Thomas claimed he should be paid like a Pro Bowl-caliber defensive back, only as his contract is two-thirds of what is guaranteed for him, he knew that getting injured was to be expected.

As a show of character, this was Thomas’ explanation of his no-show at practice, after being questioned by CNN.

“I need to make sure my body is 100 percent, I’m invested in myself. If they was invested in me, I would be out there practicing, But if I feel like anything- I don’t give a damn if it’s small, I’ve got a headache- I’m not practicing. But I don’t want that to be taken the wrong way. I know I’m going to get fined. But that’s just where I’m at with that,” he exclaimed.

One of the players on the Seahawks, whom is known as linebacker Bobby Wagner, was giving his opinion on Earl’s decision on his actions depicting his reliability to the team.

I think that’s the crazy part of our business. If Thomas doesn’t come to play, then he’s not a team player…If he does come and he gets hurt, then it’s, ‘He shouldn’t have come’, so it’s a position that we get put in often and it’s an unfortunate situation,” he explained.

Earl Thomas is being put on injured reserve for the rest of the season, still payed, but only getting the money that he signed for on his initial contract. No matter what gestures he can bring towards his team, the future of his career is on the line because of his newly acquired injury which makes him a liability for any team in the sports organization.

Sources: https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/how-seahawks-star-earl-thomas-contract-dispute-explains-obscene-gesture

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/30/sports/earl-thomas-seattle-seahawks.html

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/10/1/17921840/earl-thomas-injury-seahawks-contract

Want to get involved? Submit a letter to us at:

https://rhsarrow.com/sumbit-a-letter/

About the Writer
Analisa Ruiz, Staff Writer

Hi my name is Analisa Ruiz. I am a freshman at Renton.

I play soccer for RHS as a mid-defender. I've played violin for 3 years in and out of school,...

• Season-ending leg injury brings Earl Thomas to flash out on the Seahawks amid contract dispute

Health

Healthy eating is a way of life            

App Home Page

The battle against liberty and humanity: serving those who want to cease and killing those who want to live

App Home Page

Can medicine affect us?

App Home Page

Alcohol and health risks

Health

Breaking social pressures and the “fitting-in” mentality

Health

Bullying

Opinion

RHS GOALS Students vs. Staff volleyball game

Sports and Fitness

Renton boys’ tennis team 2018

Sports and Fitness

Cross Country: a more complex training

Sports and Fitness

RHS Girls Basketball

The Student News Site of Renton High School