2018 Trunk or Treat

High school students spend the day bringing "spooktacular" cheer to the community.

November 2, 2018

Through the chilliest weather, “80 Renton HS students (as well as the Hazen Robotics team and Teacher Academy students from all three high schools) volunteered their time at the Renton Downtown Association Old Fashioned Halloween Party.” The students ran their own booths holding games or treats! Every year, many people from all around the community attend this event, and to ensure they had a fantastic time, our Renton High School students demonstrated our commitments and leadership, even in the gloomiest weather we made sure people had fun!

Before the fun starts, there is some intense preparing that has to take place. A couple days prior to the event, the clubs must prep their activities, for example: the culinary club baked over 100+ dog biscuits and the knitting club made homemade bowling. It was hectic, but in the end, it was all worth it.

Arriving at the event was kind of spooky; it looked very bare at first, but once the booths were setup, it felt like a ghostly party.

“At first it seemed very boring, but once people came, it was fun–especially when you see their faces when they won. My favorite part would be running around like a messenger, because we had no candy and didn’t have any time to buy any, so I asked clubs if they had any extra candy and they were so generous to lend us some. Since it was my first time, I didn’t know what to expect. There were so many exciting things happening like the dog costume, but I would say our biscuits were the star of the show! Some of the owners came back to grab extra doggy biscuits too,” shared Karen Tran, a sophomore from Renton High School.

“For my first experience joining a club, I was so glad that I was able to participate in a very fun event with my club. I was able to have my own imagination brought to life in a costume, as well as to see all the amazing costumes each child or dog were wearing. I was surprised we didn’t run out of candy to hand out, despite all the children coming up to our booth to play yarn bowling. Everyone seemed to be having fun at all these attractions,” explained Ileana Shannon, a junior form Renton High School.

The end of the day came, and all the booths were coming down as the last of the children and parents were leaving.

The event was a success. Christina Neuschwander shared just how successful it really was.

“Students designed and ran game booths, handed out candy and other treats, and worked with the Downtown Association to ensure that the 500+ kids and parents in attendance had a fantastic time,” quoted Neuschwander.

So, if any high school students like to help and want to get those community service hours, they should definitely volunteer next time.

A big shout-out goes to Hannah Ballesteros (who organized everything), Sara Khelghatian, Carla Smith, Alice Yeager, Rosemary Shaw, and Dylan Okimoto, who were additional adults at the event.

RHS Arrow • Copyright 2021 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in