RHS Arrow

Gen Z: The future is now

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gen Z: The future is now

A group of diverse Gen Z journalists.

A group of diverse Gen Z journalists.

Delaney Connell

A group of diverse Gen Z journalists.

Delaney Connell

Delaney Connell

A group of diverse Gen Z journalists.

Jasmine Jackson, Staff Writer

Millennials. Baby Boomers. Generation X.

We’ve all heard these titles before, so what are we? We are Generation Z, born between 1997 and 2020, defined as the generation too young to remember the events of 9/11, but are we more than that? Let’s see what studies have to say.

Many studies have been conducted to see how our generation will fare in society, be it business, economy, marriage, socialism, and technology. Some are particularly interested in how we will react to working with the generations above us, since Generation Z represents 25.9% of the world and soon will be the world´s largest generational cohort.

According to Business Insider, 62% of Generation Z expect challenges when working with Baby Boomers (born 1946 to 1964) and Generation X (born 1961 to 1981), yet only 5% of Generation Z anticipate problems working with Millennial (1982 to 1996). However, 77% of Gen Z predict to work harder than previous generations. Millennial attitudes are often optimistic because of the encouraging Baby Boomer parents and growing up with opportunity. Yet, Gen Z will be realistic, as they grew up during a recession.

We all have heard that our generation is obsessed with social media, cannot get off of our phones and spend no face-to-face time with each other. Yet, according to Quantum Run, 74% of Gen Z prefers to communicate face-to-face with peers, and 43% prefer shopping at traditional stores, compared to 38% who prefer purchasing items online.

One notable quality of Generation Z is that when it comes to social issues. We live in a progressive era: the vast legalization of gay marriages, awareness of police brutality, the take on political correctness, and much more. Generation Z takes a more welcoming, accepting approach towards other ethnic groups and cultures.

Quantum Run states, “50% more (of Generation Z) identify as multicultural than did youth in 2000.”

On another note, Gen Z´s view on marriage is changing the upcoming culture as well. The members of Generation Z are more open to interracial dating.

As research from 747 Insights says ¨Gen Z is the most racially diverse generation, and about four in five youths say they would date outside of their race, and the majority would date someone with different religious or political views.¨

Furthermore, about 80% of teens have expressed they want to get married later in life YPulse states, despite half of US adults being married, says Pew Research Center. They also conclude that 66% of Generation Z support marriage equality.

Perhaps the stereotypes portrayed about our generation are wrong and maybe some are true. Regardless, Generation Z is bursting with potential and should be encouraged to use it rather than judged or put down for the long-established social issues.

About the Photographer
Delaney Connell, Senior Copy Editor and Photojournalist

Hi! My name is Delaney Connell. I'm a freshman here at RHS, and I'm your senior copy editor and photojournalist. In my free time, I love to read and play...

• Gen Z: The future is now

App Home Page

Why we should protect India’s Sentinelese Tribe

• Gen Z: The future is now

App Home Page

This is torture! Cloning must be stopped

• Gen Z: The future is now

App Home Page

The dark web

• Gen Z: The future is now

App Home Page

Santa Fe High School shooting

• Gen Z: The future is now

App Home Page

The battle against liberty and humanity: serving those who want to cease and killing those who want to live

• Gen Z: The future is now

Features and Editorials

Washington gun laws change for the better?

• Gen Z: The future is now

App Home Page

Why the #MeToo movement is important and needs to be talked about

• Gen Z: The future is now

Features and Editorials

Sexual assault and the media

• Gen Z: The future is now

Features and Editorials

What the future holds for DACA

• Gen Z: The future is now

Features and Editorials

Womxn?

The Student News Site of Renton High School
Gen Z: The future is now