RHS Arrow

Scholarships for high school seniors

Tatiyanna Lewis, Staff Writer

A lot of seniors have this idea that there are not scholarships to apply for that fit the criteria that applies to them. They see scholarships that are based on certain ethnic heritage or even GPA criteria.

Aside from grants and loans, private scholarships are some of the best ways to help fund college education. There are thousands of scholarships out there for high school seniors, all with different eligibility requirements, deadlines, and award amounts; so, it is worth the time to do the research.

Check out a few options below to get started!

Scholarships:

Ajia Matthews educational scholarship fund Deadline: 3/31/2019

The Ajia Matthews Education Scholarship Fund is in memory of Ajia Da’Shae Matthews, who passed away in 2009 at a young age due to a medical condition. AMESF scholarships for Washington State high school graduates in pursuit of a higher education. Criteria for these awards include academic performance, school involvement, character, leadership, and employment history and community service. Students planning to attend two or four-year colleges or technical colleges are encouraged to apply. Students must maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA to be eligible.

Education first scholarships Deadline: 3/18/2019

Education First provides college scholarships to low-income high school seniors. Awards can be used for tuition and books at a college, university, community college, or trade school and must be used within seven years after graduating high school. Applicant must be a senior at one of our target high schools (see website for list). Preference is typically given to first generation college students in the “academic middle” who have overcome significant life obstacles. For more information or to apply, please visit the scholarship provider’s website.

Pride Foundation Scholarship  Deadline: Varies

The Pride Foundation offers more than 50 different scholarships though there is only one application to complete. Scholarships are available to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and straight-ally (straight and supportive of LGBT issues) students as well as students from LGBT families. Students must either be residents of Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon or Washington (but may study anywhere) or be attending school in one of those five states. We particularly encourage applications from LGBT students of color and trans students. Students must be high school seniors, currently enrolled in college, university, trade, vocational or certificate programs or planning to enroll in the next school year. High school freshman, sophomores or juniors are not eligible. Successful applicants demonstrate a commitment to social justice.

Washington State Opportunity Scholarships Deadline: 2/28/2019

The Washington State Opportunity Scholarship (WSOS) supports low- and middle-income students pursuing eligible high-demand majors in science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) or health care and encourages recipients to work in Washington state once they complete their degrees. Students must have a minimum 2.75 GPA and plan to enroll in an eligible Washington state college or university.

College bound scholarship Deadline: 6/30/2018

The College Bound Scholarship program is an early commitment of state financial aid to eligible students who sign up in middle school and fulfill the pledge. The program encourages students who might not consider college because of the cost to dream big and continue their education beyond high school. When eligible students apply, they promise to: graduate from a Washington high school or home school with a 2.0 grade point average or higher; be a good citizen and not be convicted of a felony; apply to an eligible college and file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in a timely manner. When the student graduates from high school, his/her family’s income must fall within 65 percent of the state’s median family income. Eligibility will be determined when the student completes the FAFSA when he/she applies for college

About the Writer
Tatiyanna Lewis, Staff Writer

My name is Tatiyanna Lewis; I am a Renton High school senior. I enjoy shopping, working out and sleeping. I will be letting you know popular things on...

• Scholarships for high school seniors

School Updates

Trimester 1 Finals

• Scholarships for high school seniors

RHS Life

Renton School District and trimesters

• School Updates

PTA Reflections Art Program Opportunity

• School Updates

UPDATE: Need a dress for homecoming? Renton has it covered.

• Scholarships for high school seniors

App Home Page

Introducing Chromebooks to Renton High School

• Scholarships for high school seniors

App Home Page

Renton High’s class of 2018 long-awaited graduation

• Scholarships for high school seniors

App Home Page

Renton High track athletes find success at State championships

• Scholarships for high school seniors

School Updates

Renton Teachers Academy

• Scholarships for high school seniors

Health

Healthpoint at RHS

• Scholarships for high school seniors

App Home Page

Senior Spotlight: Tai Anthony McMillian

The Student News Site of Renton High School
Scholarships for high school seniors